The South County Meditation Group meets in Oceano on Sunday mornings from 9:00am ‑ 10:15am for meditation, followed by discussion, in the Gudrun Hus Studio at Tierra Nueva Cohousing, adjacent to the town of Halcyon (see Maps) (see Brochure).
Our meditation practice is informed by the wisdom tradition of Buddhism. All levels of meditation experience are welcome, and it is not necessary to be a member of White Heron Sangha to attend. If someone is new to meditation, and new to the group, the facilitator, or one of our group members, may guide the meditation for the first 10 minutes or so.
We are a peer-led group, in the tradition of kalyanamittata ("admirable friendship", or "spiritual friends").
The usual meeting format is: start with reading the Beginning Practice, meditate for 30 minutes, read the Ending Practice, then announcements and discussion. Sometimes, we extend the meditation period to 45 minutes.
We do not meet when there is a White Heron Sangha weekend retreat.
Generally, after the first sitting of each month, for those who are so inclined, we have a casual social time with tea and light refreshments.
Books that we have read recently include:
The book that we are currently reading is:
Date Opener Facilitator Program (updated 11/20/2018) Nov 25 Steph W Lisa 9. The Gift of an Open Mind | Zen and the Art of Openness • Prejudice and Perspective • Breaking Barriers • Are You Sure? • Actually See Her • The Healing Power of Words • Heartfelt Communication
Practice: Is This True?
Dec 1 & 2 n/a n/a White Heron Sangha Weekend Retreat with Shaila Catherine:
Strategies for Overcoming Distracting Thoughts
Dec 9 Susan Tea Time Sunday - Extended Meditation (45 minutes), followed by free-form discussion and social time. Dec 16 Kat 10. The Gift of Authenticity | You Were Born to Do This • Staying True • To Whom Are You Faithful? • Start Where You Are • Aware Inside, Calm Outside • Honoring Your Feelings • Desire • Free to Be Human
Practice: Being True
Dec 23 Susan 11. Free to Dream | Express Your Heart • "Bird Got My Wings" • They're Your Dreams • Crafting Your Life • Conscious and True • The Currents of Life • Dream Big and Dance
Practice: You Are an Artist
Dec 30 Steph W 12. Deliver Your Gifts | Free to Act • Try Again • Vision and Action • Bring Your Gift • Selfless Service • The World Needs You • Your Very Flesh Shall Be a Poem
Practice: Deliver Your Gifts
The Book Queue These are books that are being suggested to read next. If there is a book that you would like to suggest, please feel free to email the title to one of the WHSSCMG members listed below, and it will be posted anonymously to this queue.
- Approaching the Buddhist Path by Bhiksu Tenzin Gyatso, the Fourteenth Dalai Lama, and Bhiksuni Thubten Chodron
- Eight Mindful Steps to Happiness: Walking the Buddha's Path by Bhante Henepola Gunaratana
- First Buddhist Women: Poems and Stories of Awakening by Susan Murcott
- Food for the Heart: The Collected Teachings of Ajahn Chah by Ajahn Chah and Ajahn Amaro
- The Foundation of Buddhist Practice by Bhiksu Tenzin Gyatso, the Fourteenth Dalai Lama, and Bhiksuni Thubten Chodron
- Interbeing: Fourteen Guidelines for Engaged Buddhism by Thich Nhat Hanh
- Love in Action: Writings on Nonviolent Social Change by Thich Nhat Hanh
- Meditation on Perception: Ten Healing Practices to Cultivate Mindfulness by Bhante Henepola Gunaratana
- The Mind and the Way: Buddhist Reflections on Life by Ajahn Sumedho
- The Sound of Silence: The Selected Teachings of Ajahn Sumedho by Ajahn Sumedho and Ajahn Amaro
In addition to our regular Sunday morning meditation and discussion, we also have other get‑togethers from time to time.